A crystal grid is a network of crystals that you place in a geometric pattern and activate with your specific intentions. They are exquisite works of art, vibrational medicine, and energetic templates that bring in healing, love, light, protection, or any type of energy you choose. Building a grid is a very powerful way to create a strong force field of energy that can pattern and structure the energy of its environment and affect people who are exposed to it with your positive intention.
Crystals and gemstones have an inherent geometry in their crystalline structure, and they respond to your thoughts and intentions. Therefore, placing them in specific geometries that resonate with a goal and then activating the grid with that particular intention allows the crystals to harmonize and amplify each other. This creates synergy and greater energetic effects. Here are four simple steps for building one:
- Step 1: Choose a purpose or intention for your grid. Think about your specific goals or what type of energy you would like to bring into your space and life. Here are some ideas of different types of grids you could build: protection, physical or emotional healing, attracting a romantic partner, abundance, psychic awakening, connecting with higher dimensional beings (such as Angels, Galactics, Ascended Masters, etc.), karmic clearing, past-life recall, calming and stress relief, positive energy, creating sacred space for a spiritual gathering or a healing session, or manifesting something specific (like a new job or a new home).
- Step 2: Use your knowledge or intuition to select crystals that are aligned with your grid’s purpose. Once you know what type of grid you would like to build, the next step is to find crystals that resonate with your intention. You could consult crystal reference books or do a quick internet search. (For example, if you are building a protection grid, you could type into your search engine “best crystals for protection.” You will probably find lots of good suggestions, such as Hematite, Smoky Quartz, Obsidian, Amethyst, Labradorite, Pyrite, and Shungite.)
Here’s a little cheat sheet for you, a compilation of stone suggestions for specific types of crystal grids:
- Protection & Clearing: Shungite, Smoky Quartz, Black Tourmaline, Hematite, Obsidian, Turquoise, Chrysocolla, Malachite, Fluorite, Amethyst, Citrine, Lapis Lazuli, Labradorite, Moonstone, Bloodstone, Amber, Kunzite, Kyanite, Selenite
- Love & Emotional Healing: Rose Quartz, Rhodonite, Kunzite, Lepidolite, Rhodochrosite, Dioptase, Danburite, Pink Tourmaline, Green Tourmaline, Watermelon Tourmaline, Pink Opal, Unakite, Apache Tear, Malachite, Morganite, Moonstone, Chrysocolla, Tantric Twin Quartz, Isis crystal
- Health & Physical Healing: Emerald, Seraphinite, Shungite, Bloodstone, Fluorite, Green Aventurine, Peridot, Garnet, Carnelian, Green Calcite, Sanda Rosa Azeztulite, Malachite, Chlorite Phantom Quartz
- Abundance, Manifestation & Creativity: Citrine, Emerald, Rutilated Quartz, Ruby, Zincite, Carnelian, Crocoite, Sunstone, Uvarovite Garnet, Tiger’s Eye, Fulgurite, Stibnite, Libyan Gold Tektite, Pyrite, Green Aventurine, Peridot, Manifestation Quartz
- Spiritual & Psychic Awakening/Connection: Amethyst, Elestial Quartz, Fluorite, Kyanite, Selenite, Apophyllite, Lemurian Quartz, Herkimer Diamond, Celestite, Moldavite, Labradorite, Moonstone, Stellar Beam Calcite, Pietersite, Blue Apatite, Charoite, Sugilite, Lapis Lazuli, Sodalite, Lithium Quartz
- Relaxation/Meditation: Amethyst, Kyanite, Selenite, Celestite, Lithium Quartz, Kunzite, Lepidolite, Larimar, Prehnite, Moonstone, Danburite, Aquamarine, Apophyllite, Sodalite
- Positive Energy & Happiness: Citrine, Ruby, Ocean Jasper, Amber, Garnet, Peridot, Titanium (Rainbow) Aura Quartz, Carnelian, Sunstone, Crazy Lace Agate, Zincite, Amethyst, Rose Quartz
Another great strategy is to use your own intuition to select the stones that feel best to you. Trust yourself! You will be guided. You can never go wrong if you use Clear Quartz crystals, since they are versatile and can be used for any purpose or intention.
- Step 3: Choose a geometric pattern that is aligned with your goals, and place the crystals into the pattern. Each geometric shape embodies specific energetic themes, so choosing the right shape will enhance and amplify the power of your grid. Here are some guidelines about the energies of some common geometric shapes used in crystal grids:
- Triangle: manifestation, integration, enlightenment
- Square: protection, stability, amplification, masculine energy
- Circle: wholeness, unity, cycles, infinity, sacred space, feminine energy
- Spiral: creativity, expansion, clearing, galactic energy, portals, spiritual journeying
- 5-Pointed Star (Pentagram): Earth plane experience (5 digits, 5 extremities, 5 senses, 5 elements), transformation, protection, Goddess energy
- 6-Pointed Star (Star of David): balancing, healing, protection, spiritual/psychic activation
- 7-Pointed Star (Septagram/Heptagram): the perfection of God, alchemy
- Vesica Pisces (two interlocking circles): balancing polarities, the joining of the masculine and feminine to create, Divine Feminine powers (womb/birth canal), the basic motif of the flower of life, a source of power and energy, and a doorway or a portal between worlds
- Flower of Life: Oneness, the Divine, the building blocks of reality, manifestation, perfection and harmony
- Parallelogram: accessing parallel realities, timelines, or other lifetimes
- Infinity/Figure 8: abundance, limitlessness, infinite possibilities, balancing polarities
Once you have chosen a shape that resonates with the intention of your grid, use your intuition to place the crystals into that shape. Your grid could be very simple and just include a handful of stones. In the example of a protection grid, you could make a simple square by selecting four protection crystals and placing one at each point. Or it could become a complex mandala of multiple crystals placed in overlapping geometrical shapes, taking up a large space.
You could use a geometric grid template to help you perfectly place the stones, which you can find here on this website or at the Nature’s Treasures retail store. They offer beautiful grid templates in various sizes and shapes, such as Pentagram, Star of David, and Flower of Life. Using a grid template ensures that you have the stones perfectly spaced and it adds a beautiful aesthetic dimension, since they come in different colors and materials.
- Step 4: Activate the grid. Activating your grid is like turning on the light switch. It brings your grid into full power and can significantly amplify the force field and energetic reach. I learned this when I took a crystal grid class with Paul Hubbert, a gifted metaphysical teacher and healer in Austin. In the class, he had us make simple and tiny grids out of crystal chips. He taught us how to measure the energy field of the grid with dowsing rods, and we compared the grids before and after an activation process. Before I activated my mini- grid, its energy field was only about two feet. After activating the grid, it measured thirty feet! So please do not skip this important step.
The idea is to state your intention aloud and formally connect all of the crystals together so that they are working in unison. Remember that crystals have consciousness and they respond to your thoughts, so telling them what you would like to accomplish will help them work together to serve your goals. First, state your intention aloud, then use a pointed Quartz crystal or a Selenite as if it is a wand to “connect the dots” of crystals. This involves tracing the geometric pattern that the grid is placed in with your “wand” for a total of three times.
When building a geometric crystal grid (such as a circle, square, star, or any of shapes covered above), it is often recommended that you place a powerful crystal in the very center. If you do so, there is a specific way to activate the grid for optimal results. Here is a good diagram to follow for the activation pattern.
Think of it as drawing pieces of pie. Start by pointing your wand at the middle crystal, then move up to the top crystal. Move left to the next crystal in line, and then back to the central crystal. (You just made a triangle or a piece of pie!) Go back to the previous crystal, then over to the next crystal to the left, and back to the center. Repeat this until you make your way back to the top crystal, then end by pointing your wand to the central crystal again. Do this a total of three times.
Once you have activated your grid, it will remain activated as long as all of the crystals remain in place.
Now that you know the basic steps for building and activating a crystal grid, have fun and be creative! Remember to trust your guidance and allow the inspiration to flow. Creating a grid is like putting out a prayer in crystalline form—it has so much power to help you manifest wonderful outcomes in your life.
About the Author
Adrienne Goff is an author, healer, and teacher with a specialty in the healing crystalline kingdom.